1- What kind of products can be certificated?

The products which can be certificated are defined in the EU regulation of organic production. They are: Agricultural not elaborated products from animal or plant origin, agricultural elaborated products from animal or plant origin intended for human consumption; fodder; vegetative propagating material and seeds for cultivation; yeasts intended for human or animal consumption; and organic aquaculture products (fish, seaweed and mollusks).

The regulation applies to activities at any stage of production, preparation and distribution relating to the products applying for the certification. Extractive fishing and hunting are excluded from the certification.

2- Which documents do I have to provide?

You have to provide the Certification Request, which can be filled out in our website or request it directly to us. In addition, you have to fill in the annex related to your activity. Once you have provided us the documents, we will contact you should we need more information.

3- How much does the certification cost?

The certification fee is on our website. Payment must be made  when you submitting  registration documents. There is an annual fee to renew the certification. Also, the sales exaction must be paid every six month, if proceeds.

4- When will enrolment and follow-up visits take place?

After reviewing the Certification Request, having verified that the documents are correctly filled out and the payment has been done;  an Audit Plan  will be sent with an estimated date for the meeting,  and the necessary documents will also be be required for the proper conduct of the audit. Before the visit you will be called to arrange the exact day and time.

In the following years, at least an annual follow up visit will be made, upon payment of the renewal fee, using the same methodology as for enrolment.

5- What is the audit visit?

The auditor will go to the facilities audited in order to check the production process, evaluate the system employed by the customer to ensure compliance with the requirements, perform a visual inspection of the means of production, and if necessary he will take a sample to analyze.  As proof of the audit,  a record will be signed,  a copy of which will be delivered to the client. Finally, you will receive a report informing of any nonconformity along with the results of the samples in case they were taken.

6- What happen if the auditor finds any non-conformity?

If the auditor finds any non-conformities, it means that you have to improve some part of your internal control and/or production system. Then, a correction plan must be made that includes the following points: Identification of the non-conformity, how it is affecting that to your system and a proposal with corrective measures.  Subsequently, it is crucial to deliver it to Craega on time.

7- What happens to the sample taken by the auditor?

Note that sampling is not always necessary. Generally, samples are taken when your certification is to be obtained or, when there is a suspicion or risk of contamination or by random follow-up. In the case the auditor takes a sample in the plot or industry, it will be sent to a laboratory accredited by ENAC in 17.025, as the maximum guarantee in the analysis. If said analysis detects the presence of residues of prohibited products, a non-conformity would be opened, which would have to be solved.

8- What process follows the initial or expansion audit of the facilities?

The auditor delivers the final audit report along with the rest of the documents in the file to the Technical Director who then prepares them for the Certification Committee.
The Certification Committee is the body that decides and issues a decision on certification. Decisions can be favorable (to obtain and / or maintain the certificate), or unfavorable (to deny / remove the certificate) the decision of the Certification Committee is communicated by means of a resolution  signed by the President of CRAEGA.

9- What is the conversion period?

Organic farming regulation establishes a different conversion period for different types of production.  During the conversion period the customer is not allowed to sell the product with references to organic farming. Only in the plant production is allowed to market the product under the name of “conversion to organic farming” when the first year of conversion has already finished.

10- When is the certificate issued and  it is valid?

In the case of a favorable decision, and provided that the requirements related to the conversion period have been met, the corresponding Certificate will be issued allowing the sale of products. The certificate will reflect its corresponding category: Organic agriculture, or in-conversion. It will also have an effective date.

Once the certificate is issued, it will be periodically renewed before the expiration date, as long as payments are met and the visit reports are positive.

11- What should you do if you want to unsubscribe?

You must send a signed letter to CRAEGA with your enrolment data, stating that you wish to unsubscribe from CRAEGA. If you have control material, it is mandatory to return it to CRAEGA.

12- How can I change the ownership?

You must complete the change of ownership form, and attach the documentation requested on the form.

13- How can I expand the means of production?

To carry out the expansion of the means of production, it is necessary to fill out extension request form, and send it to CRAEGA along with the required documentation.

In the case of an industry that wants to expand its products, the product elaboration sheet and a sketch of the label / s must be submitted  for approval.

14- What can I do if I do not agree with the decision of the Certification Committee?

You must send us the reason of your disagreement in writing and we will send you confirmation of receipt. We will transfer this claim to the Advisory Committee for a decision. The final decision will be communicated to the client by a means of a Resolution signed by the President.

15- What does it mean to have the certification suspended?

Suspension of certification means that as long as the Certification Committee does not make a new decision on the certification, the client will not be able to use the certificate or the control material.

16- How do I request the control material?

In order to request the control material, you must have the certificate of conformity and complete the request for control material correctly.

In case the product is labeled, remember that the label must be approved in advance by the CRAEGA.